Veneto Opera Summer School – postponed to 2022
Due to Covid-19, we have regrettably postponed our 2021 summer programmes in Italy to 2022. These are planned to run in exactly the same format as had been planned for 2020, with the same repertoire on the Staged Scenes Programme. All information on this page relates to the 2020 programmes and will be updated when our new 2022 dates are confirmed. In the meantime, please join our mailing list here to be kept informed and check out our Virtual Opera Summer School, due to run in July 2021, with places available for singers and guests.
Veneto Opera Summer School 2020 details
19–26 July 2020: Aria and Song Week for singers and pianists, with visits to the Prosecco vineyards and La Fenice
9–23 August 2020: Staged Scenes Programme for singers, pianists and instrumentalists. Repertoire: Così fan tutte, Cavalleria Rusticana, Falstaff. Perform in a range of exciting events as part of Arte Lirica Festival, including two evenings at Teatro Duse, Asolo.
Join us in Bassano del Grappa for inspirational masterclasses, tailored one-to-one coaching and performances for Italian audiences in stunning venues. Led by renowned Italian Coach and Melofonetica Founder Dr. Matteo Dalle Fratte (Royal Opera House, National Opera Studio, Royal College of Music, Guildhall School, London) with our faculty of experienced coaches.
Apply by 31 January 2020 for £100 early bird discount and to be considered in the first round of role allocations on the Staged Scenes Programme.
“One of the most amazing, insightful and enjoyable Italian courses out there!” – April, soprano
Aria and Song Week, 19-26 July 2020, for singers and pianists
An enriching programme of Italian repertoire coaching, performances and cultural experiences:
- Masterclasses and one-to-one coaching to improve sung Italian diction, expression and performance
- Dedicated ensemble coaching
- Performances for Italian audiences
- Visits to the beautiful Prosecco vineyards and stunning La Fenice opera house in Venice
- Pianists will accompany singers in a wide range of Italian repertoire during coaching and performances and benefit from one-to-one coaching in how to use the Melofonetica Method to collaborate more effectively with singers
- High quality accommodation with air conditioning, breakfast and three-course Italian lunches
“The week transformed not only my use of Italian, but my awareness of language in singing more generally.” – Johanna, soprano
Staged Scenes Programme, 9–23 August 2020, for singers, pianists and instrumentalists, with performances in Arte Lirica Festival
An exceptional programme of Italian repertoire coaching and performances in Arte Lirica Festival, Asolo. The Festival is supported by the Città di Asolo and includes gala concerts, pop-up events, staged scenes at Teatro Duse, Asolo and more. Principal and cover roles available in:
- Così fan tutte, Mozart – full Act 1 Finale
- Cavalleria Rusticana, Mascagni – excerpts including the Easter Hymn
- Falstaff, Verdi – excerpts from Act 3
- Improve diction, musicality and expression in sung Italian with masterclasses and coaching in the highly effective Melofonetica Method
- Tailored one-to-one music coaching
- Dedicated ensemble coaching and sessions with our orchestra
- Performances in a range of exciting Festival events
- Practical tools, guidance and experience that you can take away and apply to all your Italian repertoire… and much more!
“A fantastic experience, the coaching for any repertoire was excellent and I absolutely loved being able to perform in those stunning venues.” – Veronika, soprano
- Accompany singers in a wide range of Italian repertoire
- Benefit from one-to-one coaching in how to use the Melofonetica Method to collaborate more effectively with singers
- Work closely alongside singers to explore how language informs phrasing and articulation
- Improve skills in orchestral playing and working with a conductor
- Perform in a range of exciting Festival events… and much more!
“The Melofonetica Method showed me the beauty and sophistication of the Italian language… an amazing and fruitful experience!” – Cadis, pianist
- Learn how the Melofonetica Method helps orchestras and conductors to better prepare Italian repertoire
- Work closely alongside singers to explore how clear and correct diction enhances dialogue between stage and orchestra
- Rehearse with and without singers, with time to explore new approaches with our conductor
- Perform in a range of exciting Festival events including staged scenes at Teatro Duse, Asolo… and much more!
“A great opportunity for any instrumentalist to gain experience playing in operas, with fantastic coaches and musicians” – Rebecca, flautist
High quality accommodation in beautiful Bassano del Grappa
- Picturesque riverside setting on the banks of the River Brenta
- 5-10 mins walk from Bassano’s historic centre
- Spacious teaching rooms onsite
- Ensuite bedrooms with air conditioning and wifi
- Continental breakfast and three-course Italian lunches
This week has transformed not only my use of Italian, but my awareness of language in singing more generally.
Do this if you can! Matteo knows his stuff - the science & art of sung Italian. The right approach for theatre, singer, audience & conductor.
Thank you so, so much for organising this, it's the best singing course I've ever been on!
Right from the first day I felt like I understood the Italian language far better – and how to better help and guide singers